Wednesday 20 March, 2013

I HANDLED THIS CASE



e-cheating: How the Foreigner was arrested in Bangalore

In a case of e-cheating, John K Brown alias John Gren from South Africa who had duped a local resident, Muralikrishna, was arrested at Bengaluru International Airport on Tuesday night by the Chandra Layout police.
John Gren (32) cheated Muralikrishna, a resident of Marutinagar to the tune of Rs 7 lakh.

Speaking to Deccan Herald, Muralikrishna said, “I received an e-mail last July by a woman called Joyce (20). She told me that her father was killed in a Civil War in Ivory Coast and she was staying at a refugee camp in Senegal. She requested me to become her  partner to claim $7.5 million which her father had deposited in the Scotland Bank.”

“She told that her barrister Bedie Kalto will get in touch with me for further clarifications.”

“Accordingly, one Kalto, claiming himself to be a barrister, offered me the power of attorney. He told me to deposit Rs 1 lakh with the ICICI bank in Mumbai for the offer letter. I forwarded the power of attorney and other documents to the Scotland Bank. The bank officials wanted a clearance certificate stating that the money will not be used for any illegal and terror activities. Kalto told me to deposit Rs 5.5 lakh to get the clearance certificate, which I did.”

Additional demand
“Kalto then sent me an e- mail asking me to deposit another Rs 8.5 lakh to get the certificate as the earlier amount (Rs 5.5 lakh) was for clearing the records. This time, I realised that I had been cheated and I lodged a complaint with the police on October 1 last year. He repeatedly contacted me and requested to deposit the money. I told him that I will give the money personally. So Kalto forwarded me details of one John Gren, a resident of Delhi and told me that he will come to collect the money, but I should bear the travelling and other expenses of Gren. I contacted Gren and after he arrived here, I told him to contact Kalto. When he was busy talking to Kalto, the police arrested him.”

Muralikrishna said, “Kalto called me around 20 times on Wednesday and requested to free Gren. But I said that I will withdraw the case only after getting the money back.”

Meanwhile, the police on Wednesday produced Gren before the court.

DCP (West) Harisekaran said Gren was not carrying either passport or visa. “It is still not clear how and when he landed in India. According to him, he has lost his passport and visa and a complaint regarding this has been lodged with the police in Bhopal,” the DCP added.

No comments: